Our specialised class is taught by a qualified pregnancy and postnatal yoga teacher. It is vinyasa yoga, modified to be safe and appropriate for pregnancy.
You can join our class once you are at least 14 weeks pregnant and have had your 12 week scan confirming all is OK.
Please also read the following:
Absolute contraindications. We are sorry but if any of these apply to you then our pregnancy yoga class is not recommended:
- Pre term labour (before 36-7 weeks)
- Growth restrictions
- Multiple births of triplets or more
- Low lying placenta
- Ongoing bleeding
- Uncontrolled diabetes or other circulatory, respiratory or systemic disorders
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Throbbing headache or migraine
- High blood pressure
- Pitting oedema
Relative contraindications. If any of these apply to you, please check with your Midwife or Consultant if they feel a pregnancy yoga class is advisable for you.
- Malnutrition / eating disorders
- Post 28 weeks when pregnant with twins
- Previous miscarriage
Please also inform the teacher of any of the following when you arrive for your first class.
- Past or current traumatic bone and joint injuries. Particularly important for lower back, pelvis and hips. These are relevant as the pregnancy hormone relaxin increases flexibility and old injuries can occasionally flare up
- Previous c section, abdominal laparoscopy, joint replacements
- Low blood pressure
- SPD / PGP – often referred to as Pelvic Girdle pain.
Please keep your teacher updated on any changes to your health, especially as things can change during pregnancy. Above all we want to keep you and your growing baby safe and well.
If you have any questions at all, please get in touch.
Thank you and enjoy your class.