Yoga for Chronic Pain Relief
3 Hour Workshop with Helle
12th June 1.00-4.00pm & 19th June 1.00-4.00pm
Our Yoga for Chronic Pain Relief workshop is suitable for those living with ongoing illness, recovering from injury or recuperating from long Covid.
Pain is a signal from your body, telling you that something is wrong. Making you aware to avoid further damage. Your body therefore begins to protect itself and unconsciously you start to keep the hurting part of your body away from movement, letting other parts of your body take over. To avoid pain, you start to avoid natural movements, creating bad habits, and entering a disruptive chain reaction.
In this workshop you’ll learn how to unwind those disruptive pain-inducing habits and build an effective practise to reduce suffering and aid healing.
In this Yoga for Chronic Pain Relief workshop, you will:
- Get to know more about your body and how it reacts to pain
- Get tools for you to use in your daily life to understand your pain and reactions better
- Learn why it’s important to break bad habits even though they are very common to develop
- Learn strategies to cope with the pain through specific yoga poses, movements, breathing techniques and meditations
- Get the opportunity through group experiences to learn how other copes
- Stay in touch after the workshop and share experiences (in a Facebook group), using the tools afterwards – supporting each other and helping to keep you on track.
By the end of this workshop, you will have:
- A 20 min morning yoga sequence to help alleviate symptoms of pain
- A 10 min evening yoga sequence to help alleviate symptoms of pain before bedtime
- A breathing practise to help calm the nervous system, to be used at all times when needed during the day
- A guided relaxation practice
- Yoga sequence as a handout and a relaxation practise as a recorded file – for you to practise at home
- Motivation sheets for the first 4 weeks (it takes 28 days to incorporate a new habit) with the opportunity to send in your practise every week, to keep you on the right track.
We realise that when you’re living with pain it may be tricky to lower down to a mat on the floor. All exercises can be practiced from a chair. You may prefer to carry out some poses seated on your chair, and some working on the mat. There will be a variety of options offered for the different poses and movements so that you can explore and find what works best for you.
In this 3 hour workshop, we can’t promise to remove your pain – but we can find actions for you to live a life with more movements, more joy and more balance. In short; find ways to live a better life with your pain.
Our teacher for this workshop is the lovely Helle: ‘I’m from Denmark, where I have previously worked in hospitals and alongside patients with diseases and diagnoses that incorporate living with daily pain. Together we worked to create a life with pain-free movement and effective holistic pain management. Besides a background in the Danish Army, I’m educated as an Occupational Therapist and in my advanced yoga teacher training, I’ve focused a lot of my studying around understanding how we can use yoga to help live and cope with pain.’
This three hour workshop is perfect for those living with ongoing illness, recovering from injury or recuperating from long Covid. After the workshop you’ll have tangible coping strategies and will potentially be able to join our new weekly Chair Yoga Class, to help you continue to build strength, stamina and mobility as well as nurturing the nervous system.
Please do come and join us. We’re running two workshops as follows:
Date & Time:
Saturday 12th June | 1.00-4.00pm
Saturday 19th June | 1.00-4.00pm